This is such an easy chicken taco recipe, and it’s also a healthy meal choice for anyone on a low-calorie diet.
Each serving provides 496 kcal, 33g protein, 56g carbohydrates (of which 11g sugars), 14g fat (of which 3g saturates), 5.5g fibre and 2.2g salt.
For the marinade
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely grated
- 1 orange, zest and juice only
- 2 large limes, zest and juice only
- 2 tbsp Mexican hot chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt or ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed, to serve
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, leaves separated, rinsed and dried, to serve
- 1 ripe avocado (about 150g/5½oz), stoned, peeled and sliced, to serve
- soured cream or reduced-fat crème fraîche, to serve
For the pickled red onion
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
To make the marinade, place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Add the chicken and turn several times until well coated. Cover the bowl and put in the fridge to marinate for 30–60 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the marinated chicken on the prepared tray.
Brush the chicken generously with more of the marinade. Roast in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through and the marinade is slightly charred in places. The chicken is cooked through when the juices run clear with no trace of pink when the thickest part of the fillet is pierced with a skewer.
Meanwhile, make the pickled red onion. Put the onion in a heatproof bowl. Cover with just-boiled water and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Drain well and then stir in the vinegar and caster sugar. Leave to stand for at least 10 minutes before draining and serving.
Transfer the chicken to a board and tear into pieces with two forks. To serve, place the chicken on the warmed tortillas and top with the lettuce, avocado, pickled onions and soured cream.